Explore the Adiyaman province in the southeast of the Turkey. Adiyaman is known for its riches History and culture as well as for its breathtaking scenery. Explore historical sites such as Karakus Tumuli and the Ataturk Dam. Sample culinary specialties such as Adıyaman Kebab and Muhlama. Admire the natural beauty of the Nemrut Mountains and Birecik Lake. Experience Adiyaman where culture, history and nature merge together
Adiyaman Province lies between the upper Euphrates in the eastern region of Anatolia and the middle Euphrates in the southeastern region of Anatolia. It is surrounded by the provinces Diyarbakir, Urfa, Gaziantep, Karamanmaras and Malatya. It lies between latitudes 37°25′ and 38°10′ north and longitudes 37°25′ and 39°15′ east. The license plate is 02.
Origin of the name Adıyaman
The origin of the name Adıyaman is not known for certain, there are several theories as to where the name came from. One theory is that the name comes from an ancient deity called Adiyaman or Adiyamana. Another theory is that the name was derived from a Persian word "Adiyaman" meaning "A place to settle down". There is also a theory that the name comes from an ancient Anatolian language meaning "One dwelling place, one city". There is also a theory that the name comes from an ancient city or local prince. There is no definitive answer as to the origin of the name Adıyaman as there are multiple theories and legends.
Sights in Adıyaman province
Adıyaman Province in Turkey is home to many points of interest & sights, including:
- The Nemrut dagi: a mountain with a height of 2150 meters, famous for its giant heads and statues from the Time of King Antiochus I.
- The Ataturk Dam: A dam known for its scenic surroundings and water sports facilities.
- The Birecik Dam: A dam known for its scenic surroundings and water sports.
- The Birecik Archaeological Museum: A museum presenting the history and archeology of the region.
- The Adiyaman Castle: A medieval castle perched on a hilltop overlooking the city and offering magnificent views of the surrounding area.
- The Adiyaman City Park: A park known for its scenic nature and hiking trails.
- The Adiyaman Botanical Garden: A garden that houses a wide variety of plants and flowers.
- The Adiyaman Bazaar: A historic bazaar known for its textiles, foods and handicrafts.
- The Adiyaman Dam: A dam known for its scenic surroundings and water sports.
- The Adiyaman Hot Springs: Hot springs known for their medicinal properties and relaxation.