Discover the beauty of Marmaris with our comprehensive Travel Guides. We offer you tips and recommendations for the best points of interest & sights, Activities, restaurants, accommodation and more so you can fully enjoy your vacation in Marmaris.
Marmaris is one of the holiday paradises connected to the center of Mugla, receiving thousands of tourists every year. The area has an extremely beautiful sea, numerous entertainment venues, a panoramic view of the bay and dozens of ancient old cities.
Marmaris Travel Guide
Marmaris is one of the very beautiful areas in Mugla. Because of its sea and its unique and beautiful fertile green areas, the people of Marmaris, which hosted many civilizations in the past, can see traces of the History . see
Marmaris is one of the 13 districts of Muğla in the Mediterranean. There are Reşadiye Peninsula and Kerme Körfezi to the west, Ula to the north, and Balan Dağı and Günlüklü Tepeleri to the east. The southern part of the area is surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea, 55 kilometers from Mugla city center.
Arrive & Depart Marmaris
The nearest airport is Dalaman Airport. It takes 1 hour and 30 minutes to drive from Dalaman Airport, 88 km from Marmaris to drive into the center of the district.
During this journey there are many options you can first in Fethiye arrive and then use HAVAŞ service to reach Marmaris. The cost of this trip is 15 TL.
However, it is possible to reach Marmaris by contacting a company that offers a private transfer service. The average fare sum is 30 euros. The taxi costs about 140 lira.
Almost all major German and Turkish airlines fly to the airports in the region. Direct flights to the Turkish Aegean cost between 70 and 300 euros, depending on the season.
Collective transfer: The shuttle bus will pick you up at the airport and take you and other passengers to your hotel. You pay one price per person on the bus and the journey takes longer because you have to wait for other passengers at the airport and stop at several hotels. If you have booked a package tour with Hotel Transfer, you will also wait for other passengers at the airport and drive to several hotels on the way to the hotel.
Private Transfer: Your own driver will pick you up at the airport terminal exit and take you directly to the hotel. Because you pay one price per trip, a private transfer for three people in a car is only slightly more expensive than a shared bus.
transport from Izmir to Marmaris by bus: The cost of this trip is between 40-50 TL, starting from Izmir bus station and ending at Marmaris bus station, which takes about 4 hours. Bus transportation from Izmir to Marmaris
Car rental in Marmaris
It is very convenient to rent a car from Dalaman Airport to the surrounding seaside resorts.
The prestigious major Internationals and Nationals Car rental companies have offices directly at the airport and their stands are located at the exit of the terminal.
Just in Summer you should book a car as early as possible, as demand is always very high.
Hotel in Marmaris
Take advantage of early booking opportunities to have a perfect vacation in Marmaris, which is flooded with local and foreign tourists in summer. City hotels in Marmaris have become one of the most popular holiday resorts, with adults-only hotels, barrier-free hotels, children's pool and mini-club perks, as well as many perks like child-friendly, pet-friendly, hotels
In Marmaris you will find many fully equipped apartments that can be booked through AirBnB.
Sights in Marmaris
The main reason why this area with so many beauties is such a popular holiday destination is of course the beautiful beaches and bays. There are many ancient cities in Marmaris, a very old settlement with a thousand-year history. The sights of Marmaris offer many options for vacationers.
- Marmaris old town: In the old town of Marmaris you will find markets, shopping streets, bars, restaurants and much more.
- Marmaris Castle: The castle in the center of Marmaris was built in 1044 BC. built by the Ionians. The castle was destroyed after the attack and rebuilt by Suleiman the Magnificent in 1522.
- Hafsa Sultan caravanserai: Built in the name of Sultan Suleiman's mother Hafsa Sultan, the caravanserai was one of the most important overnight centers at the time. Today you can drink tea and chat in the caravanserai in the cafes and boutiques.
- Bozburun: You can also take a taxi or a Minibus to Bozbrunn, which is 45 kilometers from Marmaris.
- Selimiye: Selimiye is a 45-minute drive from Marmaris city center and is a bay for yachts and boats. The best thing about this place is that it has a very peaceful nature. In Selimiye, which can be reached on foot from all directions, you will see natural villages, bays with beautiful beaches and historical ancient cities. Entry from Marmaris to Selimiye Island is 10 TL.
- Sedir Island – Cleopatra Beach: Sedir Island has small but soft sandy beaches, turquoise sea and beautiful scenery, making it one of the most visited places by vacationers. The island is 25 kilometers from the city center and can be explored by boat.
- Bitter orange: Turunc has a beautiful bay and is one of the most tranquil and peaceful cities. Turunc, awarded the Blue Flagge, usually offers boat tours.
- Bay of Bordubet: Bördubet Bay in Hisarönü is an eye-catcher due to its nature. Bördubet is one of the last undeveloped bays and gives a peaceful and peaceful atmosphere even in crowded situations. The bay is surrounded by lush pine trees, with turquoise sea and golden sandy beaches. The approximately 1 kilometer long bay is one of the frequent destinations for boat trips.
- archaeological Museum from Marmaris: There is also an Archaeological Museum in the Castle of Marmaris. Historical artifacts unearthed during excavations in Marmaris are on display here. Marmaris Castle is one of the attractions in Marmaris, especially for tourists interested in historical relics. The entrance fee is 18 lira. If you have a museum ticket, you have free entry. The Marmaris Museum welcomes visitors every week and is open from 10:00 to 19:00.
- paradise island: Marmaris is famous for its fresh air and natural scenery. On the small paradise island (Cennet Adası) with clear sea and soft sand, vacationers take a short break and enjoy the sea.
- Içmeler: Icmeler is one of the most popular tourist destinations on Beach and a must. You can catch a minibus that departs from the city center every 15 minutes or take a boat tour to Icmeler.
- Village of Sogut: Söğüt Village (Söğüt Köyü) is 2 hours drive from Marmaris and it is one of the very quiet and peaceful places. This village of 2.000 people is considered a paradise that preserves its natural beauty. At the same time, while walking around the village, you can see the ancient city of Thyssanos (Thyssanos Antik Kenti), where the ancient ruins are located.
- Grand Bazaar from Marmaris: The bazaar is because of its resemblance to the Grand Bazaar and Istanbul remarkable, but the structure is smaller. Clothing, spices, jewelry and various perfumes are sold in the bazaar in a dazzling array of goods.
- Ancient sites in Marmaris: Marmaris has hosted many civilizations due to its location. There are many ancient cities in the county town, the long history of which dates back to 10.000 BC. can be traced back. The Ancient City of Amos (Amos Antik Kenti) in Kumlubük Bay (Kumlubük Koyu), The Ancient City of Gallipolis (Gallipolis Antik Kenti) in Camli District (Çamlı) and the Temple of Hemithea (Hemithea Tapınağı) near Mount Eren ( Eren Dağı) are important historical landmarks.
- Turgut village: The village is 40 minutes away from the city center and is one of the most popular places for jeep tours.
- Halici Ahmet Urkay Museum: Many archaeological artifacts are on display, as well as a collection of documents collected by the Urkay carpet maker. For tourists interested in archaeological artifacts, the Urkai Museum is definitely one of the Sights in Marmaris represents
- Ibrahim Aga Mosque: Located in the center of Marmaris, this mosque was built in 1789 by Mengenelizade İbrahim Ağa. The most interesting part of the mosque is its huge dome.
- Archaeological Park: On display are bowls, banknotes, sarcophagi, inscriptions and antique kitchen items, belts, jewelry and swords. Admission to the park in the center of the area is free.
Ancient cities in Marmaris
- Ancient city of Amos: The ancient city of Amos is located in Kumlubuk Bay in Turunç district in the south of Marmaris, built on a mountain slope by the beautiful sea. The ancient city has temple ruins and a theater with free admission.
- Ancient city of Kedrai: The ancient city on Sedir Island is located at 12th km of Marmaris Muğla highway and is famous for Cleopatra Beach. The city was first merged with Caria and later with State Rhodes affiliated with and governed by it.
- Ancient city of Loryma: Loryma Ancient City is located in Bozukkale Bay, a large city built on a large area. The most striking work is the thin and long castle.
- Ancient city of Gallipolis: On the outskirts of Kızılkaya, near the district Gelibolu, this ancient city of Gallipolis houses the ruins of a medieval castle, amphora houses and Rhodian inscriptions.
- Ancient city of Hyda: The ancient city of Hyda on Bozburun Peninsula is located in Selimiye Bay. Inside the city you can see the tombs and the remains of the Hellenistic wall.
- Ancient city of Idyma: It is estimated that this ancient city near Kozlukuyu in the Bay of Gokova was first founded in 478 BC. was founded.
- Ancient city of Physkos: This city is located in Asaltepe, a Carian city dating back to 3000 BC. This is considered to be one of the most important connecting points between Egypt and Rhodes.
- Temple of Hemithea: Near Mount Eren is the temple built by the village of Hisarönü for the goddess Hemithea. In the past, people went to temples, organized festivals and made offerings in the name of the goddess Hemithea.
Activities in Marmaris
There are many things to do in such a popular area for tourists. Boat Tours, Scuba Diving, Safari Parks, Water Parks, Paragliding, flying boards, hiking and biking tours are some of the activities.
- boat tours: Another popular activity in Marmaris is a boat trip surrounded by the sea from three sides. Loved by domestic and foreign tourists, these tours offer beautiful bays, the most beautiful sea attractions and diving excursions.
- Marmaris boat tour: During these excursions we have visited the most beautiful bays and beaches, these excursions aim to see Marmaris in its entirety. Anchorages: Çiftlik and Cennet Adası, Akvaryum Koyu, Fosforlu Mağara, Kumlubük Koyu, Amos Koyu, Turunç and Yeşil Deniz bölgesine.
- Hisaronu boat tour: Anchorages in this boat tour: Saklı Koy, Kamelya Adası, Tavşan Adası, Dişlice Adası, Bencik Koyu and Kız Kumu Plajı.
- Boat tour to Sedir Island: Boat excursions on Sedir Island is also one of the most popular tourism projects, especially for vacationers who want to visit Cleopatra Beach.
- Diving: The Climate & Environment and the sea of Marmaris are very suitable for professional divers and beginners. In general, after a boat trip, vacationers dive in the most suitable places under the guidance of professional diving instructors. Each dive lasts an average of half an hour. The price ranges from 80 to 100 lira. Dive Points: Baca Mağarası, Sarı Mehmet Burnu, Keçi Adası Feneri, Hayıtlı Burnu, Aksu Koyu and Kutuk Burnu.
- fishing: Another activity, fishing, can also be done through chartering a boat or tours. This activity lasts an average of 6 hours.
- Parasailing: Active paragliding is the sport with the highest level of adrenaline and has been one of the most popular activities in recent years. During this 15-minute drive, you can observe the magnificent nature of Marmaris from the air, which will leave you with beautiful memories.
- Jet ski: Jet Ski, another thrill and speed activity in Marmaris.
- speedboats: Speed boating is the first choice for adrenaline lovers who like speed and is considered one of the most exciting activities.
- FlyBoard: Another high adrenaline sport, flyboarding is a fairly new and interesting activity.
- Water-skiing: One of the best Activities in Marmaris is water skiing.
- aqua parks: Marmaris has Atlantis water park and Marmaris Aqua Dream water park, which is safer for families with children or families who are tired of the sea. Vacationers who want to have hours of fun with their children prefer it.
- Jeep Safari Tours: Jeep safari is a popular activity for vacationers who want to explore Marmaris by road rather than by sea. Visit the most beautiful villages, walk through forests and beautiful bays and follow challenging trails for a whole day.
- bike tours: Those who want to experience the nature of Marmaris up close on their travels prefer cycling tours.
- Nature walks and trekking: Marmaris has a pleasant climate and a beautiful natural landscape that is very suitable for hiking. Marmaris National Park is particularly popular with nature lovers and hikers.
- the Hammam (Turkish bath): A combination of Turkish steam bath and massage.
Excursions from Marmaris
- Akyaka: Akyaka is located about 32 kilometers from Marmaris. The town of Akyaka is a nature reserve, an indispensable address for those who want to spend a peaceful vacation in its rich natural environment and tranquil environment.
- Köycegiz Lake: Köyceğiz Lake is located about 75 kilometers from Marmaris. This is a common destination for those who want to practice water sports. The area around the lake is used as a picnic area. Köyceğiz is not only a beautiful city but also welcomes visitors with its rich history and beauty.
- Old one Datca: The old town of Datça is about 70 kilometers from Marmaris. This is a place worth seeing, its alleys are adorned with begonias, stone-covered houses and workplaces.
- Kizkumu Beach: Orhaniye Kızkumu Beach is one of the most interesting beaches of the Turkey and fascinates the audience at first sight. This beach in Kızkumu is about 1,5 hours drive from the center of Mugla. You can take the Orhaniye minibus from Muğla to Kızkumu Beach.
- Pamukkale and hierapolis: Limestone terraces sculpted by hot water, the ruins of the ancient city of Hierapolis, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A little further away but very worth seeing.
- Rhodes: Take a fast ferry to the nearby Greek island for a day trip.
- Ephesus: The ancient city of Ephesus was founded in 6000 BC. Built and carried various civilizations. People living in the Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Princely and Ottoman Time lived, used this ancient city. There are rumors that the ancient city of Ephesus was founded by female warriors.
- house of Virgin Mary: The House of the Virgin Mary in the ancient city of Ephesus is a holy place for Catholics and Muslims in Bülbüldağı.
- Temple of Artemis: The Temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the world, was built in 550 BC. built. It is estimated that the construction of the Temple of Artemis took about 120 years.
- Cave of the Seven Sleepers: The Cave of the Seven Sleepers (Yedi Uyuyanlar Mağarası) is located on the hill behind the ancient city of Ephesus and is estimated to have been built in the 5th and 6th centuries. During the excavation of the cave of the dormouse, two were found Catholic Churches and various tombstones discovered. The ancient city of Ephesus is about 2 kilometers from the Cave of the Seven Sleepers.
- Archaeological Museum of Ephesus: The museum (Efes Arkeoloji Müzesi) shows important Historic Buildings from the Greek, Byzantine, Seljuk and Ottoman periods excavated in ancient settlements around the ancient city of Ephesus. The museum card is not valid for the Ephesus Museum. Admission to the Ephesus Museum is 10 lira for domestic and foreign tourists.
Beaches in Marmaris
- Sedir Island – Cleopatra Beach: Beach chairs and umbrellas on the beach can be used free of charge. There is a fee of 20 lira to enter the island. If you have a museum ticket, you have free entry.
- Kiz Kumu Beach: Another tourist attraction, Kız Kumu beach is located in Orhaniye town of Marmaris. What makes this place so famous is the sand in the middle of the sea. Thanks to this sand, people can walk on the beach in the middle of the sea.
- Marmaris public beach: Located in the center of Marmaris, the beach is one of the most crowded and popular due to its convenient location.
- Turunc beach: The beach 21 kilometers from Marmaris is a very beautiful place. The beach is usually a stopping point for boat trips and is one of the most popular attractions.
- Paradise Island beach: Paradise Island, which is literally a paradise surrounded by forests and clear blue sea. From the center of Marmaris, the island can be reached in 25 minutes by boat.
- Icmeler beach: Icmeler Beach is 8 kilometers away from Marmaris and is one of the most popular beaches for foreign tourists
- Uzunyali Beach: Uzu Nyal Beach, which is behind the public beach, is also very crowded. There are many shops, cafes and restaurants in Uzunyalı, the first choice is because it is in the center.
- İnce Kum Plajı: As the name (İnce Kum Plajı, in English Fine Sandy Beach) suggests, the beach surrounded by extremely soft sand is one of the most popular and popular spots.
- Kadirga Bay: Kadirga Bay, the farthest from Marmaris, is one of the most popular places for vacationers, although it does not have a beach area.
- Bay of Bordubet: Bördubet Bay has beautiful nature and sea.
- Ciftlik Koyu: The bay is located 30 kilometers from the center of Marmaris, on the road from Bozbrunn to Icmeler. It has a beautiful beach and very clear and clean water.
- Selimiye Bay: Located about 40 kilometers from the center of Marmaris, Selimiye is one of the most tranquil and peaceful places. With this in mind, vacationers who want to stay away from crowded areas prefer vacationers.
- Biscuit Bay: Boats or small boats are usually hired for short trips in Gebekse Bay.
- Abdi Reis Bay: Located on the outskirts of Marmaris, the bay is nicknamed Aquarium by the locals and is particularly good for scuba diving. You can even see fish in the bay, which is praised for its clear water and soft sandy beaches.
Bars, Pubs and Clubs in Marmaris
Marmaris Bar Street (Marmaris Barlar Sokağı) is definitely the most popular entertainment spot in the area, especially active at night. Entertainment options in Marmaris include many nightclubs and bars.
Eat in Marmaris
In Marmaris you can find all kinds of cuisines from around the world and maybe you prefer fresh fish, especially in seaside restaurants. Surha is one of the traditional delicacies prepared at Marmaris weddings.
Shopping in Marmaris
There aren't many big shopping malls in the area. On the contrary, there are cheaper bazaars and markets. Here you will find clothing and natural products as well as handmade products. The most popular place for souvenirs is the Bedesten Bazaar.
How much does a vacation in Marmaris cost
Since the costs vary greatly depending on the season and your own preferences, only the average costs are considered here.
Package tour with all inclusive 1 week
- from €300 in the off-season
- from €450 in high season
- from €700 in high season in a 4-star hotel
- more than 900 € in the high season in a 5 star hotel
- Budget hotel or guesthouse with Breakfast: €15 to €30 per day
- Mid-range hotel with all inclusive: €40 to €80 per day
- 5 star high-end hotel with all inclusive: more than 90 € per day
- AirBnB: own room from €10, own apartment from €50
- Return flight from Germany to Izmir: €70 to €500, depending on the season and airline
- Single journey by bus: up to €1
- Airport transfer in collection bus: €10 to €20
- Taxi to the airport: €40 to €50. Private transfer from €35.
- Day trip, for example Pamukkale: 50 € to 70 € incl. entrance fee and food
Eat, Drinks and other:
- Restaurant in tourist area, main course: €7 to €25
- Local restaurant, main course: €3 to €10
- Street food: Simit 50 cents, Rotary €1,50, corn on the cob 50 cents, Dürüm €1,50
- Glass wine in the restaurant: €3
- Glass of beer: €2,50
- Cocktails: from €8
- Bottle of water in store: 50 cents
- Groceries in stores: around 20% cheaper than in Germany
- Food at the bazaar: fruit and vegetables are 40% cheaper than in Germany
- Budget: €40 to €70 per day
- Mid-range: €60 to €100 per day
- High end: from €140 per day
Climate table, weather and the ideal travel time for Marmaris
Marmaris has a Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers and mild winters. In Izmir, the summer weather is as beautiful as in any other seaside resorts in Turkey.
|Month||Temperature:||More||Hours of sunshine||Rainydays|
|January||5 - 13 ° C||17 ° C||4||12|
|February||7 - 15 ° C||18 ° C||5||11|
|March||8 - 18 ° C||19 ° C||7||10|
|April||10 - 22 ° C||20 ° C||7||9|
|Mai||15 - 27 ° C||22 ° C||10||7|
|June||20 -32 ° C||23 ° C||12||3|
|July||23 - 33 ° C||25 ° C||12||1|
|August||24 - 33 ° C||26 ° C||10||1|
|September||20 - 32 ° C||26 ° C||9||2|
|October||16 - 28 ° C||22 ° C||8||7|
|November||15 - 22 ° C||20 ° C||7||9|
|December||7 - 16 ° C||17 ° C||5||13|
High season, June to September:
The Weather of Marmaris is influenced by the Aegean Sea. The temperature in summer is 24 to 27°. In summer, the daytime temperatures are still above 30°.
Low season, April and May:
The temperature reached 20° in early April. In mid-April it is usually already 25° warmer. The sea temperature at the beginning of the month is 20°. Until the beginning of May the temperature is 23 to 24°C. At the end of May, temperatures usually reach 30°.
Even in October, the thermometer still reaches 30° for many days in Marmaris and it rarely rains.
Winter, long-term leave and Moving abroad
Marmaris winter is mild. Winter in Marmaris begins with rainfall in early November. During the day the temperature drops to 10 to 20°. The sea water is cooled down to 17°. The climate is still much better than in Central Europe.
Marmaris in the past and today
The exact founding date of Marmaris is not yet known. The first source can be traced back to the 6th century BC. trace back. The city is called Physkos after its ancient name.
In 1425 it was occupied by the Ottoman Empire. The castle was built in 1522 for the planned Battle of Rhodes.
In 1958, Marmaris was almost completely destroyed by an earthquake. As one of the few historical buildings, the Kalesi Fortress in Marmaris was hardly damaged. The half-timbered houses of the old town line the narrow streets around the medieval fortress. These are under monument protection.
The beach promenade is about 11 kilometers long and densely built up. Some archaeological evidence can be seen in the area, such as B. Amos and Cnidus. Local travel agencies offer day trips to Ephesus, Pamukkale, Rhodes and Turtle Beach.