Explore the province of Artvin in the northeast of the Turkey. Artvin is known for its untouched nature and rich culture and History. Explore historical sites such as Artvin Castle and Köprülü Cave. Sample specialties like Artvin kebabs and local sweets. Admire the natural beauty of the Aldanus River and Artvin National Park. Experience the province of Artvin, where culture, history and nature come together.
Artvin is a city in the eastern Black Sea region. Artvin was built on a steep slope and impresses with its history and natural beauty. It borders the Georgian border to the northeast, Kars to the southeast, Erzurum to the south, and Rize to the west. It has an average coastline of 50 kilometers, stretching northwest to the Black Sea. The province is located between 40°35′ to 41°32′ north latitude and 41°07′ to 42°26′ east longitude. The license plate number is 08.
Origin of the name Artvin
The origin of the name Artvin is not exactly known, but there are several theories about it. One theory is that the name was derived from an ancient local population called "Art" who lived in the area. Another theory is that the name was derived from a local river or ancient castle called "Artvin". There are also theories that the name was derived from an old Armenian word "Art" or an old Georgian word "Art", both meaning "stone" or "rock". There is no definitive answer as to the origin of the Artvin name as there are multiple theories and legends.
Sights in the province of Artvin
Artvin Province in Turkey is known for its natural beauty and adventure opportunities. Some of the points of interest & sights in the province of Artvin and surroundings are:
- Artvin Castle: a ruined castle perched on a hill overlooking the town with excellent views.
- The Coruh River: a river that flows through Artvin Province and is well known for rafting and canoeing.
- The Karagol-Sahara National Park: a national park known for its scenic surroundings and hiking trails.
- Yedigöller National Park: a national park known for its scenic surroundings and hiking trails.
- The Artvin Camili Dam: a dam known for its scenic surroundings and hiking trails.
- The Arhavi Bazaar: a traditional market known for its handicrafts and local products.
- The Artvin City Museum: a museum that presents the history and culture of the region.
- Artvin Çoruh University: a university known for its architecture and views.
- The Artvin Çoruh Bridge: a bridge known for its architecture and views.
- The Artvin Çoruh Valley National Park: a national park known for its scenic surroundings and hiking trails.