Fethiye is one of the 13 beautiful regions in Mugla, which attracts thousands of local and foreign tourists every year. The area is known for its natural beauty and historical architecture and is one of the most beautiful holiday resorts in the world. Fethiye has bays, beaches with blue Flagge, historical places and valleys and is one of the tourist spots with rich natural beauty.
Fethiye Travel Guide
Fethiye is one of the most beautiful districts in Mugla and one of the places where summer vacationers flock. The area offers many attractions and Activities and is known for its natural beauty, facilities and historical structure.
Arrive & Depart Fethiye
Located in the western part of the Mediterranean Sea, Fethiye is one of the 13 districts of Mugla. It is to the east and southeast of Antalya, in the south of the Mediterranean, in the north-west of Dalaman and in the north of Denizlic and surround Burdur.
There are regular flights from Dalaman Airport, 54 kilometers from Fethiye. Transportation from here to Fethiye is done by renting a car or a transfer company.
Almost all major German and Turkish airlines fly to the airports in the region. Direct flights to the Turkish riviera cost between 70 and 300 euros, depending on the season.
Almost every city has a direct bus connection to Fethiye. Although some businesses are closed in the low season, it is possible to find many businesses in the high season.
In addition, the means of transport to Fethiye are taxis, HAVAŞ services or Minibuses, departing from Dalaman city center every half hour. Fethiye can be reached in an average of 40 minutes by car. You can also for 25 TL Dalaman Minibus take. Compared to other transportation services, private transfer fees are quite expensive.
Shared Transfer: The shuttle bus will pick you up at the airport and take you and other passengers to your hotel. You pay one price per person on the bus and the journey takes longer because you have to wait for other passengers at the airport and stop at several hotels. If you have booked a package tour with Hotel Transfer, you will also wait for other passengers at the airport and drive to several hotels on the way to the hotel.
Private Transfer: Your own driver will pick you up at the airport terminal exit and take you directly to the hotel. Because you pay one price per trip, a private transfer for three people in the car is only slightly more expensive than one collection bus.
Rent a car in Fethiye
It is very convenient to rent a car from Dalaman Airport to the surrounding seaside resorts.
The prestigious major Internationals and Nationals Car rental companies have offices directly at the airport and their stands are located at the exit of the terminal.
Just in Summer you should book a car as early as possible, as demand is always very high.
Hotel in Fethiye
In Fethiye, famous for its natural beauty like Oludeniz, Butterfly Valley and Kabak Bay, early booking can open the door to a vacation to remember. the Hotels in Fethiye offer you accommodation according to your ideas and different budgets. In addition, hotels in Oludeniz and other areas with safe travel certificates and health services also provide services.
Throughout the summer, Fethiye offers hotels, apartment-style hotels, boutique hotels, resorts, bungalows and campsites, and hotels according to your needs.
Places to visit in Fethiye
Lush forests, Lycia known as the Land of Light, Faralya protected as a nature reserve, Butterfly Valley with dozens of species of butterflies, the famous Ölüdeniz and Saklikent, the Wonder of the World, are all worth a visit. Considering Fethiye's attractions, it will meet your expectations, especially when it comes to beaches. In addition, beautiful seas and bays await you.
- Kayakoy: Until the early 20th century, Kayaköy was a very large town and today it is made up of abandoned houses and streets. After the Greeks who built houses on the rocky slopes left their homes, these places fell into disuse. After the population exchange in 1923, the Turks wanted to settle in empty towns, but the Turks didn't want to live here and moved to other places. On display are more than 3.000 houses, coeducational schools, cisterns, wells, shops, pharmacies, windmills, chapels and two large ones Churches.
- Butterfly Valley: The butterfly valley at the foot of the Babadag is covered like a blanket with native plant species and is one of the most beautiful natural attractions. In 1955 it was declared a nature reserve. Butterfly Valley is named after 80 different species of butterflies found in Butterfly Valley. Butterflies are generally seen in lower places and around waterfalls.
- Oludeniz: Ölüdeniz is one of the most beautiful places in Fethiye and is located on the southern side of the area, on the shore of Belceğiz Bay. Oludeniz is one of the largest bays in the Turkey and has a rare beauty.
- Babadag: Babadağ at an altitude of 2000 meters is one of the most famous mountains in Oludeniz. Also the to paragliding particularly suitable mountains offer magnificent views. It takes about 20 minutes by car to reach the top of the mountain. Babadağ is also an ideal place for hiking, one of the cool and beautiful places in the countryside. You can climb the mountain for free.
- Saklikent:While you are here, be sure to visit Saklikent Gorge National Park and have a chance to see the natural life there up close. You can take the minibus from Fethiye, Nov and Shield to Hidden City take Canyon. The creek that in summer and Winter flows continuously, rises sharply in winter and makes it impossible to hike in the gorge. In summer, however, it is very quiet and very suitable for hiking.
- tlos: The ancient city of Tlos is one of the main settlements of the Lycians and is located within the boundary of the village of Jaka, 42 kilometers from Fethiye. Tlos, called "land" in some sources, is very large. There are rock tombs, temples and city walls. Entry to this city is 5 TL.
- amintas Rock tombs: Located very close to şıklar Mountain, Amintas Rock Tombs are one of the most visited places. The rock-cut tombs for prominent figures from the Lycian Time erected were carved out of natural rock. Entry to the Rock Tombs is 5 TL.
- Faralya: Located 25 kilometers away from Fethiye city center, Farallia is one of the unique places that have been declared a nature reserve. In addition to the Roman and Lycian ruins, the Butterfly Valley and Kabak Bay are also located here. Hiking in Farraria you can see historical places and natural beauties.
- Fethiye Museum: Fethiye Museum consists of two exhibition halls, archeology and ethnography, and all exhibits consist of objects discovered during the excavations in Fethiye. The archeological section exhibits inscriptions, statues, coins and glass-ceramic products representing the History describe the region.
- Fish Market: The fish market in the middle of the block used to be a place where local traders sold fish. However, with the increase in tourism, there have been some changes here. The market is in the center of the fish market with many shops. These shops can clean, cook and serve your fish for a small fee.
- Ancient city of Sidyma: It is one of the ancient Lycian settlements near the village of Dodurga in the southwest of Eşen County. The most important epoch is referred to in historical records as the Roman period. On the Lycian Road you can see the rock tombs and ruins of the ancient city.
- gizlikent: The veritable Secretkent is not known to many. This is one of the attractions after Saklıkent. It is 1 km away from Saklıkent and can be reached via 200 steps. You can spend wonderful hours in nature surrounded by lush trees and flowing rivers.
- Ancient city of Pinara: Pinara ancient city, near Minare village, 45 kilometers from Fethiye city center. Take the minibus from the center of the district into town, where entry is free. On average, transportation to the ancient city of Pınara costs 10 lira.
- Afkule Monastery: Afkule Monastery, 400 meters above sea level, on a steep slope Built by the monk Eleftherios, the monastery is completely in nature and secluded from the public and is considered one of the most famous cult centers of that time. Entry to the monastery is free.
Activities in Fethiye
Fethiye is one of the liveliest and most dynamic tourist areas in Mugla, welcoming thousands of tourists every year. An activity can be arranged every day in Fethiye, which is rich in sea, natural beauties and activities.
- boat tours: Boat trips in Fethiye The most common and natural activity is boat trips. Thanks to these varied routes you can see the most beautiful bays, diving spots, bathing spots and beautiful landscapes.
- Oludeniz Boat Tours: Die Oludeniz boat tour starts at Belcekiz Beach and Ölüdeniz Boat Tour and ends at Butterfly Valley, Blue Hole, Cold Water, Camel Beach, Nicholas Island and finally Aquarium Bay.
- Fethiye bay tour: Another tour is the Fethiye Bay Tour. These voyages mainly lead to shallow bays where not many people go, live and do business.
- 12 islands boat tour: The 12 Islands Cruise offers a cruise to the 12 beautiful islands of Fethiye. In general, 6 of the 12 islands will be dormant and offer bathing opportunities to vacationers. You can visit islands like Tavşan, Gocek, Yassıca, Aquarium Bay, Shipyard Islands and Kızıl Island.
- paragliding: The event with stunning aerial view of Fethiye will be one of the most memorable activities of your vacation. Paragliding takes place in Babadağ at 2.500 meters and takes 40 minutes by car. You can observe an area of 200 square kilometers from the air and enjoy the magnificent scenery.
- Camp: Yeşil Valley (Yeşil Vadi Doğa Park Kamp Alanı) in Yanıklar Village, Fethiye was the first campsite. It is very convenient to find various companies and institutions that suit your needs here. Located in the Daily Village of Yanıklar Village, Camp Caretta is another campsite rich in nature activities.
- Jeep Safaris: Jeep tours in Fethiye are particularly popular.
- Watersports: In such a beautiful place, water sports are essential and perhaps one of the most exciting and fun activities. You can spend adrenaline pumping moments through activities such as scuba diving, boat tours, canoeing, bananas, matrix, Paragliding and experience flying boards.
- Diving: The activity starts early in the morning and continues until the boat reaches the dive site. After choosing the most appropriate dive site for each age and experience level, don a wet suit and dive. Historical artefacts, shipwrecks or fish can be seen in the diving area. However, sometimes you can encounter sea turtles.
- canoeing: Canoeing on the old river Xanthos is a very popular activity.
- flyboard: Compared to other activities, flying board is a very different new sport. Difficult and somewhat dangerous, this sport has been played for many years. Catching everyone's attention, flyboard is an activity that makes people's adrenaline surge.
- Wasserpark: Water World water park is one of the most popular places in the water park, part of which offers very interesting animation performances, various water slides, small pools and wave pools.
- Parasailing: Although there is nothing like paragliding, parasailing is another flight activity that stimulates the adrenaline.
- Paintball: Paintball is one of the most exciting activities, especially with friends. With this in mind, Fethiye has many paintball shooting ranges.
- Quad Safari: Although this varies from company to company, ATV safari tours usually go to the ancient city of Kayaköy and then to Gemiler Bay. You can enjoy hours of fun on your own ATV.
- horseback safaris: Fethiye Horseback Riding Safari Tour The horseback riding excursions for vacationers with at least beginner level are organized at two different times in the morning and afternoon.
- Hiking: The Lycian Way is the most popular hiking trail starting from the Rock Tombs in Fethiye. After Kayaköy, the village of Ovacık and the 1975-meter hike to Babadağ peak were tiring. However, due to its magnificent scenery and historical sites, this is one of the most enjoyable things to do.
Excursions from Fethiye
- Pamukkale and hierapolis: Limestone terraces sculpted by hot water, the ruins of the ancient city of Hierapolis, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. A little further away but very worth seeing.
- Myra: The Rock Tomb of Myra and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher of Nicholas in Myra, also known as St. Nicholas or Santa Claus.
- Cappadocia: You can see the cave city of Cappadocia and with a Hot air balloon fly over the volcanic landscape. The tour lasts two to three days.
- Ancient city of Xanthos: The UNESCO site of the ancient city of Xanthos is located in the Kınık district of the district Eyebrow.
- Patara: The ancient city of Patara in the Gelemis district of Kas is famous for its beaches and became a famous port city during the Lycian period. It is said that the history of this city dates back to the 8th century BC. can be traced back. Founded by Patarus, son of Apollo.
- Pumpkin Cove: The bay is 29 kilometers away from Fethiye city center, is declared a nature reserve and is one of the attractions of unique beauty. Surrounded by huge slopes on three sides and the sea in front, it is one of the natural attractions due to the lack of shops. Kabak Bay, which is normally approached by boat, shows visitors the beauty of the sea even during bathing breaks. However, it is possible to reach the bay by minibus from the center of the area.
- Katranci Cove: Katrancı Bay, 15 kilometers from Fethiye city center, is surrounded by eucalyptus and pine trees and is another fascinating place. The bay welcomes guests with its mixed pebble and sandy beaches and turquoise sea and has also been declared a natural park.
- Daily Dark: The bay is 27 kilometers from Fethiye city center and is mainly visited by boat trips.
- Gemiler Koyu: This is one of the original bays. In comparison to other bays, the antique Romanesque church on the historic Gimmel Bay is to be seen. The hotel organizes daily boat trips to the bay surrounded by pine and olive trees. You can reach Kayaköy via the Fethiye Kayaköy route. Entry to the bay costs 5 lire.
- Sarigerme: The public Beach Sarigerme is located about 57 kilometers from Fethiye. The wide sandy beach and the azure sea are one of the places often visited by tourists during summer vacations. The 7 km long Sarigerme beach and the surrounding forest attract the attention of nature lovers.
- Koycegiz Lake: Köyceğiz Lake is about 90 kilometers from Fethiye. You can have a picnic among the trees and vegetation by the lake where you can practice water sports. The lake is one of the places to visit with family.
- Iztuzu Beach: The beach iztuzu is about 65 kilometers from Fethiye. Known as the best beach in Europe, Iztuzu has 5 kilometers of coastline.
- Dalaman Cayi: Dalaman Bach is about 85 kilometers from Fethiye. Dalaman Stream is one of the most famous rafting routes in Turkey. It is one of the natural beauties that attracts those who love adrenaline and nature.
- kiddle Camur Banyosu: Fethiye is about 96 km away. Considered a source of healing and beauty, Dalyan Mud Baths is one of the places that attracts the most tourists.
- Fethiye Cennet Koyu: Paradise Bay of Fethiye is a place that most vacationers don't know about. This bay will rank first on the list of Fethiye attractions, and its sea and scenery have left a deep impression on tourists.
Beaches in Fethiye
With its natural beauty and historical points of interest & sights Fethiye receives thousands of domestic and foreign tourists every year. Blue flag beaches, natural bays, exciting beaches and the famous Oludeniz have a big impact on it.
- Oludeniz: With soft sandy beaches and warm sea water, it is an ideal place for swimming and water sports. It is suitable for swimming as the sea water gets deeper very quickly.
- Patara Beach: The beach is named after the ancient city of Patara and has a length of 12 kilometers. Used by holidaymakers during the day, the beach is flooded with Caretta Caretta Turtles at night. You can enter the beach with a museum card. If you don't have a museum card, you need to pay 10 lira. Sun loungers and parasols can also be hired.
- Cali's beach: Çalış Beach is the closest beach to Fethiye city center with sand and fine pebbles. It will be crowded quickly because it is close to the center.
- Belcekiz Beach: Belcekız beach in Oludeniz district is one of the most popular beaches among vacationers. It will be a great experience to watch vacationers skydiving from Babadağ and sit down to admire the view.
- Beach of kumburnu: Kumburnu Beach in Oludeniz Nature Park is actually a lagoon. Because it is a lagoon formation, the sea is calmer even without waves. The beach consists of soft sand.
- İnlice Fethiye Public Beach: İnlice Public Beach is located in İnlice Mahallesi, on the Dalyan-Fethiye route. Free entry to the beach, locals generally prefer the beach.
- The Bay Beach Fethiye: The beach has extremely calm and warm water and soft sand. For this reason, it is particularly popular with families with children.
- Kuleli Beach Club: Located in the center of Fethiye, Kuleli Beach Club is very beautiful. This place was kept alive by parties and concerts.
- Help Beach Club: Küçük Boncuklu Bay Beach is 10 minutes away from Fethiye city center and is one of the best beaches around.
- Kidrak Cove: Kıdrak Bay, where locals go swimming every day, is about 4 kilometers from Belcekız Beach.
- Oyuktepe Koyları: The bay sea, mainly used as a picnic and camping site, deepened rapidly. The rough and cool sea is not suitable for children. The beach consists of a mixture of pebbles and sand.
Bars, Pubs and Clubs in Fethiye
Fethiye has many nightclubs, bars, entertainment halls and taverns and there is no shortage of places for day and night entertainment and exercise. Fethiye's nightlife is quite lively. In this sense, Hisarönü Bar Street is particularly active. Another place of entertainment, Paspatur Bar Street is one of the places where most local tourists have fun. In Oludeniz you can enjoy in the nightclubs on the coast until the morning.
Eat in Fethiye
In areas where the Aegean cuisine dominates, fish dishes are more important, but the grill menu is also very successful. Some local delicacies are Babadağ Keşeği, Ölemeç soup, eggplant and bulgur, olive oil artichokes.
Shopping in Fethiye
In areas that offer a wide range of shopping opportunities, there are many large and small shopping centers, as well as small shops and markets. Although branded products are sold in malls, more decorations and souvenirs are sold in stores. Natural products can be found on the market.
How much does a holiday in Fethiye cost
Since the costs vary greatly depending on the season and your own preferences, only the average costs are considered here.
Package tour with all inclusive 1 week
- from €300 in the off-season
- from €450 in high season
- from €700 in high season in a 4-star hotel
- Budget hotel or guesthouse with Breakfast: €15 to €30 per day
- Mid-range hotel with all inclusive: €40 to €80 per day
- AirBnB: own room from €10, own apartment from €50
- Return flight from Germany to Dalaman: €70 to €500, depending on season and airline
- Single journey by bus: up to €1
- Airport transfer in a collective bus: €10 to €20
- Day trip, for example Pamukkale: 50 € to 70 € incl. entrance fee and food
Eat, Drinks and other:
- Restaurant in tourist area, main course: €7 to €25
- Local restaurant, main course: €3 to €10
- Street food: Simit 50 cents, Rotary €1,50, corn on the cob 50 cents, Dürüm €1,50
- Glass wine in the restaurant: €3
- Glass of beer: €2,50
- Cocktails: from €8
- Bottle of water in store: 50 cents
- Groceries in stores: around 20% cheaper than in Germany
- Food at the bazaar: fruit and vegetables are 40% cheaper than in Germany
- Budget: €40 to €70 per day
- Mid-range: €60 to €100 per day
Climate table, weather and the ideal travel time for Fethiye
Fethiye has a Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers and mild winters.
|Month||Temperature:||More||Hours of sunshine||Rainydays|
|January||5 - 15 ° C||17 ° C||4||12|
|February||7 - 15 ° C||18 ° C||5||11|
|March||8 - 18 ° C||19 ° C||7||10|
|April||10 - 22 ° C||20 ° C||7||9|
|Mai||15 - 27 ° C||22 ° C||10||7|
|June||20 -32 ° C||23 ° C||12||3|
|July||23 - 35 ° C||25 ° C||12||1|
|August||24 - 35 ° C||28 ° C||10||1|
|September||20 - 32 ° C||26 ° C||9||2|
|October||16 - 28 ° C||22 ° C||8||7|
|November||15 - 22 ° C||20 ° C||7||9|
|December||7 - 16 ° C||17 ° C||5||13|
High season, June to September:
In summer, Fethiye has a constant 30° during the day, the sun is shining and there is sometimes a light breeze. In the summer months it rains maybe a maximum of one day a month. September is the ideal Weather for a beach vacation.
Low season, April and May:
April starts in Fethiye with 20° warm weather. The sea is still 20° and towards May it warms up quite quickly. In April nights you should bring a sweater or in early April the temperature in April is 20-25°C. From the middle of the month, temperatures above 30° are normal. At the end of April the sea reached temperatures of over 22°. Rain rarely lasts more than a few hours.
The temperature during the day is 30°, the sea water reaches 24° and it rains for only a few hours in the few days at the end of October.
Winter, long-term vacation and Moving abroad
Fethiye has many immigrants from Europe and hundreds of Germans because of Turkey's pleasant winter weather, proximity to the sea and Turkey's low cost of living.
Fethiye in the past and today
In ancient times, Fethiye was called Telmessos. The city is part of the Lycian League, one of the world's earliest democracies. The 2400-year-old rock tomb dates from this period. The ruins of ancient Telmessos are scattered around the old town.
In 1284 Menteşe Beyliği conquered the city. In 1424 it became the dominion of the Ottoman Empire.
After World War I, Fethiye was occupied by Italy from May 11, 1919 to June 20, 1920. In 1924 the Greeks, who previously made up the majority of the population, were forced to leave the city as part of the national exchange through the Treaty of Lausanne, as were the Greeks in neighboring Levisi/Kayakoy. They settled in Greece, specifically in the town of Nea Makri in eastern Statika.
On April 25, 1957, a 7,1 magnitude earthquake destroyed most of the city.
The most important industry is tourism. Most of the hotel complexes and the city's longest beach (5 kilometers long) are located in the northern suburbs of Çalış. The tourist attraction 14 kilometers outside of town is Oludeniz Bay and its turquoise lagoon.