Explore the province Balıkesir in the west of Turkey. Balıkesir is known for its riches History and culture as well as its scenic beauty. Explore historical sites such as Balıkesir Castle and the ancient city Pergamon. Try specialties like Kebab from Balıkesir and local sweets. Admire the natural beauty of Kazdağları National Park and Edremit-Körfezi National Park. Experience the province of Baliksir, where culture, history and nature come together.
Balıkesir is one of the most important provinces of Turkey, located on the touristically developed coast of the Sea of Marmara and the Aegean Sea. Rich in hot springs, groundwater and surface water, a third of which is forest, it is Turkey's olive granary; it is in the Sea of Marmara, Bursa, Kutahya, Manisa, Izmir, the Aegean and Çanakkale. It lies between latitudes 39°04′ and 40°40′ north and longitudes 26°02′ and 23°02′ east. The license plate number is 10.
Origin of the name Balıkesir
The origin of the name Balıkesir Province in Turkey is unclear. Some sources claim that the name "Balıkesir" comes from the Turkish words "balık" (fish) and "kesir" (stock), referring to the abundance of fish in the area. Other sources say that the name derives from the ancient Greek words "pallax" (fish) and "kêsêr" (store), denoting the rich fish fauna of the region. There are other theories as to the origin of the name, but no definitive answer.
Attractions in Balıkesir Province
Balıkesir Province in Turkey is known for its rich history and culture, as well as for its picturesque beaches and natural attractions. Some of the points of interest & sights in Balıkesir Province are:
- The ancient city of Pergamon: one of the most important ancient cities of Turkey, known for its impressive Acropolis, the Asklepion and the Library of Pergamon.
- The Ancient Theater of Bergama: an impressive ancient theater that sits on a hill overlooking the city and offers excellent views.
- The Balikesir Museum: a museum that presents the history and culture of the region.
- The Balıkesir Ethnographic Museum: a museum presenting the culture and traditions of the region.
- The Edremit Körfez National Park: a national park known for its scenic surroundings and hiking trails.
- Balıkesir Castle: a castle perched on a hill overlooking the city with an excellent view.
- Bakırçay River: a river that runs through the province and is known for its scenic surroundings.
- Lake Manyas: a lake known for its scenic surroundings and hiking trails.
- Sındırgı Lake: a lake known for its scenic surroundings and hiking trails.
- Culture and history in the cities of Balıkesir, Edremit, Ayvalik and Bandirma.
There are many others points of interest & sights in Balıkesir province worth visiting, the list is not exhaustive.